Sunday, August 9, 2009

Chapter 2 The Gift

My name is Dara Branson. For 57 years I’ve lived with the knowledge that my act of kindness on a day in July 2024 cost mankind its freedom.

Terrified as I’d been by the bloodied waters of our stream, and the horrifying screech I’d heard, my child’s curiosity got the better of me.

I made my way upstream following the still evident blood. The screeching stopped after three painful bursts. I was a little scared now.

At the first bend, I smelled an odor like the lavender in our field; but not like exactly like it. The smell was soothing and I pressed on.

Suddenly, I was overwhelmed with strange emotions: grief, fear, rage, loneliness, pain. I recognized the pain; it nearly crippled me!

I felt myself drawn to a small gully which, in winter, drained the field above. There lay the most beautiful creature I had ever seen.

Its arms & legs looked like my own. Its torso was very long and slender, its head rather too large and its skin a pale opalescent blue.

Without understanding how, I heard its voice! “Help me.” It turned its head & I saw its enormous lidless eyes. I must have fainted.

When I came to, it was standing above me. I felt calm and fearless. “Help me” came the familiar sensation. I got to my feet and complied

It held out its hand. I gently took it and led my new friend up the gully, across the field and into out house. My mother fainted.

No comments:

Post a Comment