Sunday, August 9, 2009

DARA - The Forward

A little explanation is in order for the following experimental "Twitbook," published on Twitter in late July and early August 2009, serial fashion, one chapter per day. I decided to write it within the restrictions of the 140 character format on Twitter. The result is a form which contains 14 chapters, each with 10 passages, and each passaage containing as close to 140 characters as art would permit. A total of approximately 3,360 words. The form was as much a part of the exercise as the story. The whole experience was fun, and I encourage you to try it yourself, or invent a new form that fits. The one proviso is that it has to be published on Twitter, not linked to it. Have fun!

The story itself begins in the future and ends in the very far future. It follows the experiences and consequences of a "first contact" between 10 year old Dara Branson of Earth; and a young alien from a distant galaxy, ultimately named Bloo by his new friend. The story follows them, and eventually their respective descendants through several centuries of co-existence, conflict and eventual trust and friendship.

I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it. Let me know what you think; your comments will help me grow as a writer, and that's what I'm looking forward to the most!

Maren Wryn
OregonMJW on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment